Amazon Associates

Monday

Project: Being Beautiful



I had a thought this weekend (terrifying I know), about beauty. I'd made a hair appointment for myself because I was turning into Rapunzel over here and was plum sick of living in pony tails because that was the only thing that would keep the hair out of my face. Toss in the fact that I've been asked to think about a promotion at the day job...a promotion that people in the area don't typically reach until they are 1)male [not happening] or 2) in their fifties [not there yet], I've got to pull myself together.
So, I walk into the salon and meet with the new stylist doing my hair (my regular stylist went out on maternity leave...two years ago, so I've been bouncing around ever since). She's in her early twenties and has the whole beat-nick style working for her. I tell her what I want and she's running her hands through my hair only to look me dead in the eye in the mirror and say, "You've got, like, one grey hair. Is that standard?"

Have I mentioned I have two sons? And that I'm NOT in my early twenties anymore? Yes, the random grey pops up. And, yeah, it's pretty standard because if I can't make it to the salon to get my hair cut, how in Hades am I going to be able to get there to get it colored every few weeks?

But, it got me looking around at everyone in there. Women, desperately trying to look younger. (I know this because a couple of them were talking while under the hair dryers and I heard them shouting that they were hoping the new hair color would make them look younger.) A few men (brave souls) asking about products to 1) keep their hair from falling out or 2) regrow the hair that fell out or 3) skin care. 
I'm all about being the best you possible, in every way you can be. I just couldn't help be astounded at the amount of money (not to mention time) some of the patrons were dumping into the salon on the promise of recapturing-something. 
I know this is coming off as preachy and holier than thou. That's not what I meant by it. It's fascinating the lengths people will go to in order to capture or try to retain physical beauty, while ignoring the fact that they are glaring at the woman who dared bring her infant into the salon and he was getting fussy. Or giving the lumber-jack looking guy wide berth as they walk around him to get to their next service. Thankfully those people were far outnumbered by the people who were happy to be in the salon, having someone dote on them and really make them feel good.

We need things that make us feel good about ourselves on the surface level. But I think we need to remind ourselves that it is just the surface and not get so caught up in that part that we lose track of the things that don't fade with time. The things that really make us wonderful and, really, beautiful.




2 comments:

  1. I completely agree. There's absolutely nothing wrong with doing those little things that make us feel good, so long as we don't ignore the state of our mind and soul in the process. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. Being beautiful is more than just surface maintenance. We all, or at least I, need to be kinder to ourselves on a day to day basis. Accept the flaws we can live with and change the ones we don't want to hold onto.

      It was a deep thoughts kind of weekend for me. ;-)

      Delete