Amazon Associates

Saturday

The Idea Store

Where do you get your ideas?

I'm not even a published writer (yet), but I get that question all the time. Let's take a little trip into my brain...scary, I know.  My ideas come from everywhere. Yeah, I know, that's not a very exciting answer, but it's the truth. The other day I was having breakfast with erotica author Sabrina York (www.sabrinayork.com) and she told me about a submissions call. Side note, if you ever have a chance to have breakfast with Sabrina, order a side of bacon. Trust me, it will keep her so happy to have her own little plate of bacon to drool over, she'll agree to practically anything. ;-)

Anyway, Sabrina was telling me about a submissions call and outlining her story idea. Without hesitation I whipped out my notebook and started jotting down MY story idea. She kept talking, I kept writing (this is why we're friends-no worries about stolen ideas or anything), and now I'm a couple thousand words into my own story.

Or there was the time I dragged my hubby to the ballet and by the time the first act was over I'd plotted out a murder mystery involving a deranged ballerina.

Or the jerk at the pool while I was waiting for my kid's swim lessons to end, who was being overly friendly with a woman who wanted nothing to do with him.

Or....see what I mean. It doesn't take much to send my imagination off to the idea store.  Now if only I had an extra 5 hours of writing time every day so I could play with all the ideas....

I'm new to blogging and the whole website thing (my new site is www.carmencooknovels.com), but I'm slowly getting everything up and running. 

As I slog my way through all the technology I hope you'll check back and see what I'm up to.

See you soon,
Carmen

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Hi Carmen!

    Like you, nothing is sacred when it comes to story ideas. Fortunately, for us writers, huh?

    Happy blogging,
    Melia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melia!
      Completely fortunate for us...a little terrifying for our friends and family I think. LOL.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Carmen

      Delete
  2. Hey, there! I like your bio and your welcome note! I know how it feels to see something interesting and immediately plot an entire story around it. We had a house at the end of our street that burned down. When they rebuilt very quickly, and had numerous, expensive 'toys' around the house, I decided they must be in the witness protection program. We NEVER saw them outside. Ever. Stories come from everywhere for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mons, thanks!
      That's hilarious about your neighbors. Our neighbors across the street are a bit...different. Hubby is convinced the guy is DB Cooper. LOL (Not seriously, but they're just that different)
      Thanks for coming by and checking out the blog. :-)
      Carmen

      Delete
  3. Carmen, thanks so much for mentioning me and putting in that awesome plug for bacon. MUCH appreciated!!!! (I had some for breakfast this morning.)

    Yes, I am the same way. I suspect most unrepentant authors are. Ideas fly at me constantly and I have to stop what I'm doing and jot them down or they drift away. Even though I certainly don't have the time to write all these delicious stories, by little black book is bulging with characters, plot twists, themes and pithy comments.

    I love love LOVE writing.

    And I adore you!

    Congrats on your virgin blog baby!

    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Sabrina, happy to mention you and our favorite breakfast meat. :-) I owe the kids some yummy bacon with breakfast tomorrow.

      The realization that most authors seem to dodge ideas left and right, but most...dare I say regular/normal people, don't is what I find puzzling. I've always had an overly active imagination and got in trouble for day dreaming more than once. Thank goodness for it, because it's what brought me to writing.

      And I adore you right back!

      Leave it to you to point out that I no longer have my blog virginity...LOL

      *smooches*
      Carmen

      Delete
  4. Have fun on the blog, and keep thinking dark, suspicious, off the wall ideas! Fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Eilis! I think it would be impossible to stop the ideas, don't you? And hubby is getting used to me asking out of the blue questions about how to dispose of a body. I don't think he hardly gets nervous at all anymore. ;-)

      Best,
      Carmen

      Delete