Amazon Associates

Wednesday

Branding Buzz


According to the online dictionary, the definition of brand is as follows:

1
a : a charred piece of wood
b : firebrand 1
c : something (as lightning) that resembles a firebrand
2
: sword
3
(1) : a mark made by burning with a hot iron to attest manufacture or quality or to designate ownership (2) : a printed mark made for similar purposes : trademark
(1) : a mark put on criminals with a hot iron (2) : a mark of disgrace : stigma <the brand of poverty>
4
a : a class of goods identified by name as the product of a single firm or manufacturer : make
b : a characteristic or distinctive kind <a lively brand of theater>
c : brand name 2
5
: a tool used to produce a brand

I don't know about a charred piece of wood or a sword, but I admit that I'm still a Montana girl at heart and I always think of a cattle brand first when I hear the word brand. 

But, it's one of those buzz words that we all hear all the time. Developing our brand, creating a brand-and I'm pretty sure they aren't talking about the steel branding iron above (at least I hope not). 
So, the question is, what makes a brand memorable?
Finding something that will catch the attention of editors and agents while we're pitching. Something that our readers will be able to identify immediately as us. Something that everyone else isn't doing.

I'm working on designing an image for my Skyhawk Security books. It's so much more difficult than I ever imagined. My artistic ability doesn't expend as much towards the art art stuff...this is a painful lesson I'm learning. LOL Hopefully I'll come up with something by the time the books are available for public consumption.


Tell me about some of your favorite brand images.

No comments:

Post a Comment