Amazon Associates

Sunday

Picking It Up

We've all heard them; the cheesy pick up lines that cause us to laugh because-really? Did you REALLY just ask me what my sign is? As if any woman over the age of twelve doesn't have a response to that (STOP! DO NOT ENTER!) ready in their hip pocket.


But, to be fair, what do you say to that really hot girl (or guy-come on girls, take ownership of what you want) and not sound like a complete knob? 
HI is always a good place to start. Hi, I'm Joey, what's your name (or if your last name is Tribiani-how you doin')? Can I buy you a drink (if you're in a bar), Would you like to dance? 


Writing romance, I'm constantly thinking of why these two characters connect, why two other characters don't. What chemistry makes them spark and, yes, what are the first words that they can say to each other that will create a buzz of interest. And it's interesting, because something that is said to one person/character that is a turn off could attract another person/character.

I was in a library back in college when a guy approached me in a library and said once of the nicest things I've ever heard; "I just needed to come and introduce myself to the woman who had such a wonderful smile."  That relationship didn't go anywhere, but I still swoon a little bit when I think of it.


Sometimes it's knowing that you're ridiculous, but getting over that awkward "I don't know you, but I'm attracted to you and really would like to know you" moment out of the way.

All in all, what matters more than anything else is being genuine. At least for me. 


And looking like Ryan Gosling wouldn't hurt.

What about you? What is the worst pick up line you've ever heard? How about the best?

4 comments:

  1. Without a doubt, the worst is: "What's your name, bitch?" And when I - shockingly - refused to give him my name and turned down his subsequent "Get off your ass and let's dance" invitation, he accused me of being drunk. After all, how else could I possibly have resisted his oh so charming come on?? o.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O
      M
      G

      I have no words.I somehow don't think you were the drunk on in this scenario. Good gravy.

      Delete
    2. Uhm...no. I never have more than one drink. He, however, staggered away from my table and wove wildly through the middle of the dance floor. How he managed to avoid running into anyone is a mystery.

      This happened to me early this year, for clarification. And he was clearly older, which is why his behavior shocked me so.

      Delete
    3. Yikes.
      I'm appalled.

      Delete