Amazon Associates

Sunday

Wait, what?

This week I had a couple different, "Did that really just happen?" experiences.


Now, for the sake of full disclosure, I'll tell you that I'm the mother of two boys, so this is not at all an unusual state for me. For example, my 9 year old has started cussing. Not really bad cussing, but enough that he'd get bitch-slapped if his grandmother heard him. I recognize that he's doing this to see what I'll do. So, I didn't react other than to tell him that he'll get in trouble if he says that while at school. Or in front of grandma. The look of horror on his face at the thought of cursing in front of his grandmother (thus ending his spoiled rotten train he's been riding since birth) was hilarious. And the language has been cleaned up.


I also have a day job that deals with the mentally ill. I'm well versed in the state of "WTF" and "Seriously??" Some of it is pretty sad. Most of it is really pathetic and somewhat funny. (Telling a narcissistic person that they won't get their way because there is an issue that is more important/life threatening than the reason their calling? Priceless.) This probably explains my somewhat warped sense of humor. I have to laugh at myself, to see the humor in the every day things, or I'd be in some serious trouble.
So, this week I was actually approached by someone who wanted to tell me about the book they are writing. Or that they want to write. Or something.
Actually, they asked ME to write it for them, because it's such a great idea.
I'm pretty sure this is what I looked like:


I didn't say anything for a long time. What could I say? I'm pretty sure everything that was going through my mind would have been insulting to both of us.  Finally, I managed to squeek out that, while flattered she would think of me, I have to pass. I am 50K words into my current WIP, have the sequel plotted out and a new story idea is impatiently waiting in the wings. There is just no way I'd be able to do her idea justice.

My second "Did That Just Happen" moment was much more fun.

A friend from college, who I haven't seen in about 15 years, was in town. I met him and some friends of his for drinks one evening. Very casual and low key, I wasn't thinking anything of it. You know, right up until he introduced me to the group as "A successful romance novelist."
I'm pretty sure this is what I looked like:


I debated for half a second about correcting him, but I didn't want to embarrass him or make him uncomfortable, so I waited until we had a moment alone before I reminded him that, while I am flattered by his description, I'm not published yet. Thus, not successful. Yet. He gave me a hug and told me that he knew that, but success isn't measured in publishing contracts or best seller lists at this point in my career. Success is measured by persistence and drive. The rest would come.
I'm holding his words to heart.

How about you guys? Any "Did That Really Just Happen" moments you'd care to share?

On a separate topic, Emerald City Writers' Conference is now half way filled. We cap attendance at 300 and hold firm to that. Registration has only been open for ~6 weeks, so I anticipate we'll fill up way before October 1st. If you'd like more information, give me a shout.

4 comments:

  1. That was awfully sweet of him to say. Even if it did leave you squirming uncomfortably in your seat, battling feelings of inadequacy - I'm assuming there, because that's how I'd feel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was incredibly sweet of him. And, I was pleasantly surprised to find him in my corner. Not that I thought he didn't wish me well...I just never thought about it.
      Just goes to show that we have a bigger cheering section than we realize.

      Delete
  2. Along the same line as the last bit here. I was talking with a co-worker about sewing, of which I know nothing and she knows much. I made the statement, 'That is what I am not a sewer'. She laughed and said, 'No, you are a writer'.

    It struck me dumb for a minute because I didn't expect other people to think of me that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't is fun Jinny? It's amazing to catch a little peek of ourselves through someone else's eyes. I'm holding dear what was said and adopting the, "If I believe it, they'll believe it." mentality.

      Delete