Amazon Associates

Sunday

Remember When?

Do you remember the first time you saw things in public that you were sure your mom would flip out about, but she didn't?

I remember giggling over the National Geographic magazine showing the tribal people of some distant land, painted, pierced and delightfully, disgustingly, nude. Then having that same magazine arrive at our house in the mail. I kept waiting for my mother to throw her hands in the air and declare the whole thing dreadful before tossing that publication in the trash bin, muttering about decency and propriety the whole while.

Much to my surprise, she didn't. Instead she read the whole thing and even discussed parts of it with my father. Over dinner! (Oh the horror)

Well, this weekend, my youngest son had such an experience. Hubs and I took the boys to Buca di Beppo after finishing the last of our shopping. Anyone who has been to Buca knows of their over the top Italian decor and I didn't think anything of it.

Right up until Alex motioned me to his side, eyes wide as saucers. I was a bit concerned that he'd hurt himself somehow, so was woefully unprepared when his stage whisper of, "That statue has privates!!" reached my ears.  I turned and spotted a small replica of The David tucked in an alcove behind me. Turning back I assured him it was supposed to be like that. "But why?" Because it's art.

And I completely lost it when he muttered, completely disgruntled, "Well, it's art when you tell me to put my shorts back on too."

I've really got to get him to a museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment