Amazon Associates

Monday

Men vs. Women


Part of the fun about writing is figuring people out. Developing the characters, learning what makes them tick, what they desire, what they fear. The women I write about all tend to be emotionally strong, they're interesting, career women who don't need anyone to take care of them.

The men are a little tougher. They too have overcome obstacles of their pasts (or think they have) and are career oriented. But pinpointing what makes them tick...

You see, I'm a woman. (duh) I don't think like a guy, despite the fact that I can't remember important dates in my marriage (my husband will be able to tell you the date we met, the date he proposed-all of those things that girls are supposed to be better at remembering than guys), watch sports (football is my favorite), drink beer (I love the microbrews of the NW-Kilt Lifter is my current favorite).



Currently I'm tinkering with a scene where my hero and heroine reunite for the first time after a fairly turbulent parting. I had my husband read the scene and he asked me what keeps the hero from just turning around and walking out the door if he really didn't want to be there. "Well. She's hot. And she's been hurt." I answered, holding my breath, hoping that was enough.  Sure enough, Hubby nodded and told me I was good. "He'd have stayed even if she was just hot. Hurt just gives him an excuse."  Okay then. Good to know.

Same thing happened when I was writing a fairly gut churning scene where the heroine unloaded her past on him. The hero wasn't sympathetic like I'd planned on him being. He got mad. REALLY mad. Once again I ran it past hubby who explained that he was mad because he wasn't in control of that past. She'd made some decisions for him and that ticked the Alpha Man off.


Huh. Maybe I do get these guys. At least a little bit. Not that I'll ever admit it to my husband or sons. Something about them still mystify me on a daily basis.


Who are some of your favorite heroes? Do you get them, or are they a mystery?




I'm thrilled to announce that this Friday Christy Reece/Ella Grace will be joining me to chat about her newest releases, Midnight Secrets and Chances Are. Be sure to stop by and say hi!



2 comments:

  1. I adore men, even when they honestly annoy the hell out of me and completely disgust me with their manly habits. I get them to an extent--as far as I'm willing to go. In order to adore someone, you have to "get them" on some level. Beyond that, I'm content to leave them to their mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I try to leave them to their mystery. But the guys in my family insist on trying to share with me...there are some things I just don't want to know. ;-)

      Delete