Amazon Associates

Monday

I'm enamored with the Pineapples

While we were touring around New England I asked someone what was up with all the Pineapples I was seeing around on the souvenirs.
 

The shop owner happily explained that the pineapple is a symbol of hospitality. When the ship captains returned safely, they would place a pineapple outside their homes to alert their neighbors that they were back and it was time to celebrate. To hear her tell it, soon a block party would erupt with everyone drinking rum.

I don't know how completely accurate her version is (with the block party and rum drinking) but I love the story. I want to write about a historical ship captain, just so I can have him throw one of these parties! Apparently the pineapple continues to be a big part of the architecture of the area, so you'll see it all over the place.

And much to my husbands chagrin, he's now having to deal with my pineapple obsession. I suppose it would be worse.

What about you? Have you ever discovered a little bit of history and adopted it as part of your own culture or style?

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I have! You know how noblemen had all those lovely servants? I'm obviously a misplaced noblewoman in need of a houseful of faithful servants cooking and cleaning whilst I write the hours away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too!! Geez. going through the Berkshires...it was like stepping into another world. Completely incredible.

      Delete