Amazon Associates

Monday

Love, Laughter and Travel

As many of you know, Hubs and I took a vacation a couple weeks ago. Just the two of us. My mother-in-law moved into our house to keep the children and beasts alive while we jetted our way to the other side of the country.  But, first, mother-in-law moved in. As in, she brought her own groceries and a bag so large that both children could have easily fit inside.  

 I was a little concerned that she wasn't planning on leaving. Looking back, I shouldn't have been worried because she was going to be alone with the kids for a full six days. Even if her original plan had been to extend her visit, they'd break her of that notion real quick.

So, off we went to explore Boston. Our first day the weather was gorgeous so Hubs decided we needed to try to see everything we possibly could. I thought he was in vacation mode, so everything would be a couple things and we'd find a bar somewhere for lunch and then meander on.  How have I been married to this man for so many years and have no idea that he doesn't meander? He marches. Quickly. And has a plan. And a route! Oh my goodness. I did everything I possibly could to keep up with his long legged stride as he dodged school children and pointed out the sites as we raced passed them. Right up until I stopped. This was a vacation, not a sprint. I was done, so we wound up taking a few breaks before heading over to the USS Constitution. It was a fun, wild day ending outside Fenway.

The next morning was much more overcast, so we took it easy a bit and went to the Pru, before wandering through the Commons. When the rainy mist started happening the Seattlite in me giggled at everyone whipping out their umbrellas. Pu-leeze. In all my smug superiority we continued on...only to have the clouds rip open and make me look like I'd entered a wet tee shirt contest.

Ahem. Yeah.

And THEN, we found the "General Hookers Entrance" to the Massachusetts State House. I don't think I've laughed that hard in a LONG time. My mind is seriously stuck in the gutter. I know, it's terrible. But I'm discovering all my friends are right there with me.

After leaving Boston, we headed down to Rhode Island to catch up with friends and attend the Marie Force Readers Weekend. We toured Block Island, the inspiration for her Gansett Island, and all over Newport. Such a fabulous time that I can't tell you all that much about because I'd be sued for defamation for sure. 

One of the highlights was visiting Block Island. If you've read Marie's Gansett series, you'd recognize the various locations and descriptions. We spent quite a bit of time hanging out on the beach behind the Surf hotel. And when it comes to my girlfriends and I...you just can't take us anywhere. I consider this part of the trip payback for all the sprinting through Boston.

It wasn't until we were in Rhode Island that someone asked if we were on our second honeymoon. Huh. We should have thought of that! I guess we sort of were. Twelve years, two kids, one mother-in-law I was going to have to evict with a crowbar made for a lot of laughter and joy during this trip.

I hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend and have gotten back into the swing of things. What was the last trip you took? Or are you deep in the planning stages?

Be sure to stop by next Monday:

Lori Lyn is going to be my guest to talk about her debut novel, The Archery Contest. Please stop by and be entered to win an advanced copy!


No comments:

Post a Comment