Amazon Associates

Monday

Brushes with Fame

Yesterday I was attending a kid's birthday party with my youngest. It was held by a group of people that I know and am friends with, but I don't know them all really well, if that makes any sense. The birthday mom was a friend's sister, with a lot of her family there. It was a very fun relaxed environment with the kids running around trying to save the universe Avengers style.



 Toward the end of the party I found myself hanging out in the living room, chatting with all the adults. People started talking about Chris Pratt and his Guardians of the Galaxy role. But, not in a way that most people talk about him. They were talking about recognizing his voice, and how funny it was to see him on the screen. My confusion must have shown on my face because a friend leaned over to explain that "they [waving her hand] all went to high school with him."

Huh. Very cool.


It reminded me of listening to Jane Porter speak once and she mentioned that one of her characters physically resembled Mariska Hargitay...because they know each other. They were bridesmaids in a the same wedding.

Can you imagine how awesome that wedding album must be?

So, I started wondering, do you have any "I knew them when" stories? Or brushes with fame?

6 comments:

  1. My father-in-law is a production designer and we were invited to the Santa Barbara film festival one year. He'd been working on a film with Pierce Brosnan. My mother-in-law was the one who introduced me, and proceeded to give him crap about the fact that he hadn't married the mother of his child-to-be yet (Keely something?, who he did eventually marry). And the guy was so nice, he just stood there like a recalcitrant boy and let her take him to task. (She was a Southern mama!) I'll never forget it. Oh, and the fact that he was smoking a cigar - was NOT impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! And horrifying!!
      Don't you hate it when you meet people and they don't live up to your expectations? Sometimes through no fault of their own, but still.
      I'm cracking up at the image of your MIL ripping him a new one over a very personal topic.

      But, I suppose that's part of fame, isn't it? Nothing is too personal for public consumption.

      Delete
  2. K, I wasn't gonna bore you with this one, but it looked like you needed some more comment love, so...
    Hubby and I were in the studio audience for Jeopardy once. We were told that Alex Trebek would come up and shake hands, meet the audience, etc. Oh, was that ever wrong! The guy was so full of himself that he only came out of his dressing room just before the cameras started rolling and only to speak to the contestants. And he wouldn't even look up at the audience. To think I'd idolized this man for years. So disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I always need more comment love!

      And boo! Another let down. You need some good meet up stories Jenn!

      Okay, I wasn't going to share my story, but...wait I'll make my own comment.

      Delete
  3. Ok, my brushes with fame...
    Growing up where I did in MT, we often times had celebrities around. They've got cabins or vacation homes, etc.

    I ran into Huey Lewis one day shopping at Shopko. Literally, ran my cart right into him. I was mortified! He was really nice about it all.

    Jeff Ament from Pearl Jam is from MT, so we'd run into him all over the place. Typically at the basketball jams.

    Howie Long's sons were also playing at the same basketball tournament, so he was there cheering them on. All I could say to him was, "Holy crap, you're huge!" He laughed and called me "Squirt" every time he saw me for the rest of the weekend. (I know, super smooth...)

    I have a few others....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love the Huey Lewis one. :)
      I missed out on a chance to meet Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley (yeah, you KNOW that was ages ago!) because I turned down my grandmother's invite to go with her to bingo. She and her friend went out for ice cream after and he came up to them and commented on the size of her friend's huge ice cream cone. Eh, missed opportunity. :)

      Delete