Amazon Associates

Saturday

Creating the Mood

One of the toughest things I've encountered is setting 'the mood'. Readers expect a certain mood (not to mention world building and all that other stuff) when they pick up a book. Depending on the genre, those moods can be pretty specific.

Yesterday I was in the middle of a steamy scene and my fifty pound lap dog crawled into the chair with me and promptly started snoring. And farting. Not exactly the mood I was trying to set as my hero gently ran his fingers through the heroine's hair.

The other buzz kill I've been facing are my lovely children, who must have rigged my desk chair somehow because the second I sit down they yell, "Hey Mom!" or "By the way, Mom..." typically followed with something like, "that report I told you I was done with, I'm not. It's due tomorrow and I need you to take me to the library NOW to get the book I need to finish it."
*sigh*

Or, my poor husband, who puts up with so much. As I type this, he's shopping for some noise canceling headphones for me...I guess I've been ranting about this situations a lot this weekend. Until those headphones arrive, I've been using my ipod to signal to my guys (unsuccessfully) that I am not available for conversation. That doesn't stop hubby from wanting to talk to me about the latest news story that caught his attention, or discuss what it is that he'd like to have for dinner.

So tell me, how to do you set the mood so you are better able to set the mood...if you know what I mean?

1 comment:

  1. This is probably going to be obnoxious, but I have four children and learned years ago how to tune them out. I'm also excellent at filtering noise subconsciously. Was her shriek playful or life-threatening? Is the hand waving in front of my face sticky with blood, an unknown questionable substance or merely the snack I heard them getting (and accurately deciphered as cheese and crackers, therefore acceptable)? Was that crash an earthquake - not likely in Idaho, a dresser falling over or merely the Great Dane settling in for a nap?

    Husbands are another matter entirely. They tend to be much more difficult. Perhaps set a specific time aside so he knows when you'll be free and fully available to discuss that news story? It's never easy to juggle all the balls we need to keep in the air, but it's one of our more awe-inspiring mom super powers. :)

    ReplyDelete